Topics

Transmissions coming through my a/v system

Guy Smiley

I do my hamming from an apartment building. My Buddipole antenna which is configured as a horizontal dipole is on my balcony. The balcony Abuts my living room and is only separated from the living room by a sliding glass door. I operate only 20 m single side band phone. I find that if I increase my RF output to 100 W or more, my voice comes through the AV sound system speakers that are in my living room. Other than the obvious solution which would be to lower the RF power, does anyone have any suggestion on how to correct or minimize this problem. Many thanks. Guy WA1GS.

dmp4

Guy
I've had that problem........
I put a ferrite bead on the speaker wire.
Darryl
KI6MSP

Darryl M Paule
 KI6MSP
GMRS WRJT254
ki6msp@...
707 544-8874
Discovering the Art & Science of Amateur Radio
Member of:
image.png
Brook Haven School ARISS contact
Member of AMSAT # HO 273
Member of SkyWarn # SO 111

Sonoma County Library ARISS contact

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 7:59 AM Guy Smiley <gsmiley@...> wrote:
I do my hamming from an apartment building. My Buddipole antenna which is configured as a horizontal dipole is on my balcony. The balcony Abuts my living room and is only separated from the living room by a sliding glass door. I operate only 20 m single side band phone. I find that if I increase my RF output to 100 W or more, my voice comes through the AV sound system speakers that are in my living room. Other than the obvious solution which would be to lower the RF power, does anyone have any suggestion on how to correct or minimize this problem. Many thanks. Guy WA1GS.

Andy

I put a ferrite bead on the speaker wire.

On the end close to where it comes out of (actually into!) the amp.  The speaker wire is an antenna.  The amp rectifies and demodulates it.

It may help to do the same with the other "inputs" to the A/V system too.  Every wire is an input.

Andy

dmp4

Yes,
It doesn't matter where you put the ferrite beads.
You could put them on all AV lines.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 8:31 AM Andy <ai.egrps@...> wrote:
I put a ferrite bead on the speaker wire.

On the end close to where it comes out of (actually into!) the amp.  The speaker wire is an antenna.  The amp rectifies and demodulates it.

It may help to do the same with the other "inputs" to the A/V system too.  Every wire is an input.

Andy

Chris Mattia

I recently ran into this with a neighbor.  After trying a wide variety of things to isolate the problem, I ended up searching for information on the specific speaker system the neighbor had and discovered an older series of forum posting indicating an internal shielding problem with that particular older model of speakers.

After reaching out to the manufacturer and presenting a wide range of test data indicating that it was very likely the internal shielding issue, the manufacturer ultimately sent a new updated model of the speakers to the neighbor and we haven’t had any issues since.

Take home message. Start with basic troubleshooting and methodically form and test hypothesis until you find the solution.

Some of the things I tested:
Is the problem occurring on other similar gear (other speakers)?
Is the problem isolated to a particular band?
Is the problem related to power level?
Is the problem isolated to a particular component in the signal chain?
Will adding 1 or more ferrite beads stop or reduce the problem?
Will changing the wires or cables resolve the issue?
Is there a known issue with the model or similar model?

Good luck and 73!
Chris

. - -  - . . . .  . -  . . . .
Chris Mattia
http://wavetalkers.com
@csmattia
W6AH

On Jan 16, 2021, at 7:59 AM, Guy Smiley <gsmiley@...> wrote:

I do my hamming from an apartment building. My Buddipole antenna which is configured as a horizontal dipole is on my balcony. The balcony Abuts my living room and is only separated from the living room by a sliding glass door. I operate only 20 m single side band phone. I find that if I increase my RF output to 100 W or more, my voice comes through the AV sound system speakers that are in my living room. Other than the obvious solution which would be to lower the RF power, does anyone have any suggestion on how to correct or minimize this problem. Many thanks. Guy WA1GS.

Andy

It doesn't matter where you put the ferrite beads.

I think it does matter a great deal where you put the ferrite beads.

If you put them at the speaker end, it won't help nearly as much.  You want to block ingress into the A/V terminals.  They should be at that end of the speaker wires.

But you are right that they can go on all the lines.  As common-mode chokes.

Andy

Guy Smiley

Thanks so much

Guy I Smiley
122 east 42nd Street
New York,NY 10168
212 986-2022
gsmiley@...

On Jan 16, 2021, at 11:31 AM, Andy via groups.io <ai.egrps@...> wrote:

I put a ferrite bead on the speaker wire.

On the end close to where it comes out of (actually into!) the amp.  The speaker wire is an antenna.  The amp rectifies and demodulates it.

It may help to do the same with the other "inputs" to the A/V system too.  Every wire is an input.

Andy

Guy Smiley

Thanks for your help

Guy I Smiley
122 east 42nd Street
New York,NY 10168
212 986-2022
gsmiley@...

On Jan 16, 2021, at 11:36 AM, dmp4 via groups.io <ki6msp@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks so much for your help

Guy I Smiley
122 east 42nd Street
New York,NY 10168
212 986-2022
gsmiley@...

On Jan 16, 2021, at 11:47 AM, Andy via groups.io <ai.egrps@...> wrote:

It doesn't matter where you put the ferrite beads.

I think it does matter a great deal where you put the ferrite beads.

If you put them at the speaker end, it won't help nearly as much.  You want to block ingress into the A/V terminals.  They should be at that end of the speaker wires.

But you are right that they can go on all the lines.  As common-mode chokes.

Andy

Rick McGaver

Add some toroids, beads.
9G