Topics

Power Limit of VersaTee

Guy Smiley

MFJ  now has a set of 20meter ham sticks that can handle 500watts of power. I am thinking of using them on my horizontally configured Buddipole. Can the versatee handle 500 watts?

Bob Lewis

I would think that you will likely melt the banana plugs. You would probably have to cut them off and attach ring lugs and use 1/4x20 knurl nuts or similar. You'll need heftier coax - minimum of RG8x. You can't use the TRSB - it is rated only up to 100 watts.

To be on the safe side and make life easier connecting coax to it why not just invest in a hamstick dipole mount?  Not very expensive. That way you can just attach the coax PL259 tight to the mount. You can attach it to the BP mast via its U clamp.

From Bob Lewis N8GU