Topics

NEW FOR 2021 - THE BUDDIPOLE QSO PARTY

Bob Lewis

NEW BUDDIPOLE ACTIVITY FOR 2021: THE BUDDIPOLE QSO PARTY !!!
Not everybody likes a challenge, but everyone likes a party. So… the format will be the same, just the name is changing from the Buddipole Challenge to the Buddipole QSO Party. All of the major modes that have been popular to Buddipole users will occur. July will be a special opportunity to use your Buddipole during the ever-growing popular Parks on the Air (POTA) activity. Each activity, as always, only requires your personal* total QSO count.
*EVEN IF OPERATING UNDER A CLUB CALLSIGN YOU CAN REPORT YOUR PERSONAL QSO COUNT FOR THE BP QSO PARTY RESULTS.
COME JOIN THE PARTY !!!
  • APRIL PODXS PSK 31 FLAVORS CONTEST First Saturday/Sunday in April
  • MAY CQ WW WPX Contest, CW Last weekend of May
  • JUNE FIELD DAY Last weekend of June
  • JULY POTA BP Party Month Total POTA QSOs for entire month
  • AUGUST NA QSO PARTY SSB Second weekend in August
  • AUGUST FTn CONTEST Last weekend of August

Rich Seifert

On Jan 2, 2021, at 12:51 PM, Bob Lewis <doclewis27@...> wrote:

NEW BUDDIPOLE ACTIVITY FOR 2021: THE BUDDIPOLE QSO PARTY !!!

[snip]

You might want to contact and inform Bruce Horn, WA7BNM, who maintains the “master list” of all contests. Even though your “contests” are more for fun, and are really a “contest within a contest”, it doesn’t hurt for it to be on the master list. I, for one, schedule my contest activity by perusing this list and choosing the activities I am interested in, and then put them on my personal calendar so I don’t forget (and don’t schedule something else for that time period).

And for what it’s worth, in 2015, using only 100W and a standard Buddipole Deluxe kit, I made 2021 QSOs in CQ WW CW (over 1.4 million points) using the callsign VP2EAQ, setting the Anguillan record for CQ WW CW (Low Power). Something to work towards?

Rich KE1B

Peter Hutchings

Is there a site that explains how this all works ?  I've had a buddipole for quite a while .... and now interested in this ...

Thanks   Pete N1PRH

On Saturday, January 2, 2021, 03:51:26 PM EST, Bob Lewis <doclewis27@...> wrote:

[...]

The history of the Buddipole QSO Party and its predecessor, the Buddipole Challenge, is scattered throughout this group's posts and the Buddipole Facebook Page.

I created the Buddipole Challenge in 2019 as a way to get people out of the house and to use their Buddipoles as well as getting folks to share their configurations and experience.  A complaint of the BP noob is that they get frustrated trying to get it to work for them.  The former Challenge, and now the BP QSO Party, will be a resource for those folks to learn from other BP users.

Interestingly the POTA (Parks on the Air) program has been a real boom for the BP users.  It provides another excuse to use their Buddipole.

I selected 6 regular contests to tag on Buddipole QSO parties that I feel will be easy to do and promote Buddipole usage and be low power user friendly for those of us using 15 watts portable or less (I have a KX3). I wanted to include the spectrum of modes... CW, PSK31, SSB, FTn.  We tried to include RTTY last year and other than me there were no participants so I did not continue RTTY.  I also selected the time of year when folks can comfortably use their BP in nice weather as opposed to cold and snowy.

BY THE WAY, I have no ownership to the name Buddipole QSO Party nor the former name, The Buddipole Challenge.  It is not a function of the Buddipole Company and I receive no compensation from them.  I am friends with Budd and Chris and I enjoy helping them with their business.  That being said, anyone at any time can announce their own Buddipole QSO Party and set their own parameters for it.  My parameters are simple... I am only interested in getting the total QSO count from the participant.  I do no log checking.  I assume folks will be honest about their total count.  In some 48 hour contests I sometimes ask that participants report their best 6 hours.  It is hard to stay outside with a BP for two straight days.  Many BP users have a 6 hour window of opportunity to do the BP activity.  I do encourage participants to post their setups and settings.

I look forward to this new format - the Buddipole QSO Party.  I think six events per warm weather season is plenty to keep people interested.

From Bob Lewis N8GU