Topics

Mast guying kit on shock cord mast

Matthew Allred

Hello,
i searched through the group and didn't see anything specific.

How do you use the mast guying kit with the grey 2-piece plate with the shock cord mast? I got both recently and can’t figure it out.

Thanks for the help, K1MDA

Dan WZ1P

Hi Matthew. If you go to the photo's section you will see how I guy my 8' shock cord mast. I used some stainless wire and screws from Ace Hardware. You can also tie a parachute cord ring through the holes on the Versa-T and clip onto that. Both ways work fine with the 8' and 12' shock cord masts.

Dan WZ1P
Moderator.

Chris Mattia

Here is a pic of the guy kit for the Mastwerks, the BP kits work the same way.  Be sure to loop the toggle end of the line through the guy plate twice and I’ve found that tucking the toggle under the first loop adds a bit extra holding power.

When I set up my mast, I’ll typically set the mast and guys first, then drop the mast and attach the antenna, then when you rise the mast and antenna together, the guys are already in place and they stabilize the whole system as soon as you reach the full height of your mast.

73,
Chris W6AH

. - -  - . . . .  . -  . . . .
Chris Mattia
http://chrismattia.com
@csmattia
W6AH

On Dec 28, 2020, at 9:52 AM, Matthew Allred <kilo1mda@...> wrote:

Hello,
i searched through the group and didn't see anything specific.

How do you use the mast guying kit with the grey 2-piece plate with the shock cord mast? I got both recently and can’t figure it out.

Thanks for the help, K1MDA

GRANT YOUNGMAN

Some small paracord or Mastrand loops on the Versa-T to clip the guys to is really the easiest approach. I use it with the shock cord mast, and the even the tall Buddipole mast, and it works just fine.

Grant NQ5T

On Dec 28, 2020, at 12:57 PM, Dan WZ1P <gagnon@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

Hi Matthew. If you go to the photo's section you will see how I guy my 8' shock cord mast. I used some stainless wire and screws from Ace Hardware. You can also tie a parachute cord ring through the holes on the Versa-T and clip onto that. Both ways work fine with the 8' and 12' shock cord masts.

Dan WZ1P
Moderator.

Harry Mueller

I couldn't figure it out either. I ended up looping about 4" of parachute cord through the holes on both sides of the versatee and clipping guy lines to that. Works fine. Still a bit annoyed that the description of the shickcord mast specifically mentions the guying kit that doesn't work with the mast.

73,
Harry, W1HMM